"We're Not Going to Defend Ourselves"
"And by the Way, Linda's Daughter Is a Liar"
"And Linda Is a Pawn in Satan's Hand"
In the summer of 2006, a signed statement from Linda Shelton's daughter started circulating, a statement
intended only for the eyes of pastors and church leaders. That statement, carrying the date of July 7,
alleges sexual assault by 3ABN president Danny Shelton against that daughter.
What do we mean by "sexual assault"? We are using a definition available on a U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services website:
What is sexual assault?
Sexual assault and abuse is any type of sexual activity that you do not agree to, including:
- inappropriate touching
- [five more items in the list]
Sexual assault can be verbal, visual, or anything that forces
a person to join in unwanted sexual contact or attention. ...
In the allegations under consideration, we have an account of very inappropriate and definitely
Given how Linda Shelton was put on administrative leave so quickly when Danny raised allegations
against her of having an affair, one might expect Danny to have immediately been placed on administrative
leave when these allegations surfaced, until a full and impartial investigation could be completed.
However, Danny has yet to be placed on administrative leave, despite all the months that have passed.
Damage Control Time
On August 10, 2006, Danny Shelton made use of the power he wields by airing a special,
globally televised broadcast. Much of the material presented was good, and yet spread throughout
were ideas that were a bit disconcerting. Here are some of the thoughts we heard being communicated:
- Danny is being persecuted. He's being lied about. He's being "mentally molested."
- Danny is God's chosen leader, as Moses was, and he should not be "attacked."
- Disagreeing with God's chosen leader can bring upon us adversity and discouragement.
- Danny is the Lord's anointed, and God's anointing isn't for a day or two.
- God warns all that no one but He can straighten out His anointed. [Thus, church discipline is out of the question.]
- We're not going to defend ourselves. We're going to let God fight our battles.
- John the Baptist was a holy, Spirit-filled man who interfered in a sinful relationship.
- Herodias was unconcerned about her relationship with God. She had the spirit of Antichrist.
- Herodias used her daughter as a pawn to get John. Both she and her daughter were pawns in Satan's hand. This was vile persecution.
- Moses had to ignore the people's complaints and just go forward, and so we're going to do that too.
- Complaining about Danny will only delay the second coming.
- "Shut up" and "stop complaining." Forget about whatever was done in the past.
Is this a proper way to deal with allegations of sexual assault, or does this constitute abuse of power?
Is it appropriate to call one's accusers liars on a globally televised program while at the same time
claiming to not defend one's self? Is it right to assert that Danny Shelton is above criticism and public
scrutiny, and that all calls for impartial investigation will be ignored? Is it true that stopping to
examine the matter in an open-minded way will delay the second coming?
Or do we have manifested here a cult-like mentality that, if left unchecked, will eventually lead
to disgrace and disaster, and the eventual repudiation of everything Seventh-day Adventists stand for?
Watch or Download Excerpts
We have pieced together more than 50 excerpts from the broadcast, and provide them for your viewing below in
harmony with 3ABN's posted copyright notice, as well as in harmony with "Fair Use" considerations.
These excerpts are arranged in two ways: topically, and in the order in which they appeared in the broadcast.
We recommend that you see them arranged topically.
The original broadcast was about two hours long. We have provided a little less than 18 minutes
for your consideration.
Excerpts Arranged Topically
Excerpts Arranged in the Order in Which They Appeared in the Broadcast